Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Dissecting Taguchi

I went out and bought two Japanese fully canvassed coats for the purpose of dissecting them. The first is a Taguchi, from Osaka apparently.
Of the two, this is the most mechanized in construction.
I had the revelation of my life when I saw the chestpiece. So this is how you canvass for a corpulent figure!!!
Notice how low the haircloth goes to, all the way to the bottom of the lapel. Essentially, instead of ending at the chest, the haircloth goes all the way to the belly, in order to prop up the jacket and prevent collapse at the stomach area.

The bridle is a woven fusible
And instead of an edge tape at the edges of the lapels it uses a narrow strip of grey fusible

1 comment:

  1. Wow, at first I thought, damn this guy is kinda nuts, tearing apart a perfectly good coat. But it is pretty amazing actually seeing the guts of one of these. Now I have to find out what hymo, bridle, and haircloth are. I assume the haircloth is like a very thick interfacing?

    ReplyDelete