Saturday, October 8, 2011

#2 Chinese Chef's Knife

Chinese chefs are known to use essentially only one knife, the choy dou (in Cantonese). The most popular size for the choy dou is the #2, which is 8" long as made by the best knife maker in Malaysia. Here is my well-used Brand 55 choy dou next to a brand new Japanese hand-forged gyuto.


It turns out that Chinese coatmakers, too, use essentially only one pair of shears. My sifu uses an 11" Shozaburo for everything, from big cutting strokes like striking cloth to delicate cutting tasks like cutting the Y-prong in pockets to menial tasks like snipping thread at the sewing machine. He even uses his shears as tweezers, employing them to pick up and position small pieces of cloth. He can make a coat with just one pair of shears.

I am so glad that I bought a Shozaburo in the same size myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment