Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Finalizing the shoulders

Up until now, the shoulder seams have merely been basted together (with a backstitch) and the shoulder pads basted in provisionally.

I spent the afternoon "making up" one shoulder. It took me 3 hours. For a single shoulder.

The shoulder seam was opened up, the seam redrawn with a sharp chalk, a strip of lining material basted to one side of the seam, and the seam sewn permanently with the machine. Then the shoulder pad is permanently basted to the canvas. Thereafter the lining is made to cover the pad and basted in place.

See if you can tell the difference. One shoulder has been finalized and the other not.


I need to clean my window.

2 comments:

  1. The left shoulder (picture) is the finalized side. You owned a sewing machine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I own a sewing machine. It's a very basic model from Brother.

    ReplyDelete